The Duties of Executive and Personal Assistants vary from company to company, as each company has different administrative and support needs.
Executive Assistant Duties
The general duties of an executive assistant involves a combination of administrative and managerial responsibilities, whereas personal assistants (PA) carries out administrative duties on behalf of one individual – typically a manager or an executive.
Executive assistants support the needs of business executives. Here is how the duties of executive assistants differentiate from that of personal assistants:
- Scheduling meetings and engagements, and ensuring there are no scheduling conflicts
- Office management – managing the work of clerical and administrative employees, maintaining office supply inventory and ensuring the smooth functioning of the office
- Communicating information to the executive leadership team
- Administration – screen phone calls, organise mail, summarise reports
- Prepare information for internal and external distribution – letters, data reports, presentations, transcribing, proofreading, editing, etc.
- Maintaining electronic and paper company records
- Data analysis using computing and critical thinking skills, and create reports which identify any core concerns
- Maintain discretion and confidentiality in the knowledge of protected information
Personal Assistant Duties
PA’s assist with relieving their manager or executive from administrative tasks. In this way, the manager or executive is able to focus on the core strategic needs of the business. The duties of PA’s generally include:
- Acting as the point of contact for the manager or executive
- Managing schedules, organising meetings and scheduling appointments
- Booking transport and accommodation
- Setting up conferences
- Keeping track of important tasks and deadlines
- Administration – maintaining administrative systems, preparing reports and presentations, managing databases and filing
- Communicating with staff and clients
- General office support – performing research, completing legal reporting, handling expense admin, etc.